Suggestion: About suggestions and general CS QoL

Suggest new features or changes to Chicken Smoothie.

Re: Suggestion: About suggestions and general CS QoL

Postby Papilio Ulysses » Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:49 am

Starfalling wrote:
BlueEyedKite wrote:I guess it's like a snowball after so many years. Maybe one aspect would be completely easy to implement but now you have dozens upon dozens of easy asks. How do you get to them all?

If they can only get to so many ideas maybe it'd be best they lock the suggestions board and announce anyone with an idea send in a help ticket instead. If it's a suggestion worth its salt it moves up the chain, then staff post a community poll if users would like it implemented. At least you know it is reasonably going to happen if the idea makes it that far.

I like voting in community polls! Posting support in the suggestion thread feels a little pointless ^^;

I personally don't like the possibility of the suggestions board being locked for tickets instead, I like everyone being able to see and give input on all suggestions, not just the ones staff picks as best

I like being able to view the community's suggestions too. But the Suggestions Board is filled with 15 years worth of ideas. It's not unreasonable to believe how overwhelming it could be for staff to go through and filter which ones to give us feedback on now.

Why don't we as a community consolidate the most popular and desired suggestions over the years into one post for the staff? Maybe that could help them give us definitive feedback. Something like a top 10 list that outlines the details of each suggestion. Perhaps we could start with a poll of 20 suggestions to help us deicide which ones we want to put forward the most?

I just think that anything we could to do to help decrease the backload on the staff's end could make dealing with this easier.
** Tʜᴇ Eɴᴄʜᴀɴᴛɪɴɢ Sᴀɴᴄᴛᴜᴀʀʏ **

Bye bye, little butterfly~
-----------------Image-----------------
Papilio Ulysses

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby echo into void » Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:32 am

Papilio Ulysses wrote:
Starfalling wrote:
BlueEyedKite wrote:I guess it's like a snowball after so many years. Maybe one aspect would be completely easy to implement but now you have dozens upon dozens of easy asks. How do you get to them all?

If they can only get to so many ideas maybe it'd be best they lock the suggestions board and announce anyone with an idea send in a help ticket instead. If it's a suggestion worth its salt it moves up the chain, then staff post a community poll if users would like it implemented. At least you know it is reasonably going to happen if the idea makes it that far.

I like voting in community polls! Posting support in the suggestion thread feels a little pointless ^^;

I personally don't like the possibility of the suggestions board being locked for tickets instead, I like everyone being able to see and give input on all suggestions, not just the ones staff picks as best

I like being able to view the community's suggestions too. But the Suggestions Board is filled with 15 years worth of ideas. It's not unreasonable to believe how overwhelming it could be for staff to go through and filter which ones to give us feedback on now.

Why don't we as a community consolidate the most popular and desired suggestions over the years into one post for the staff? Maybe that could help them give us definitive feedback. Something like a top 10 list that outlines the details of each suggestion. Perhaps we could start with a poll of 20 suggestions to help us deicide which ones we want to put forward the most?

I just think that anything we could to do to help decrease the backload on the staff's end could make dealing with this easier.

i love the idea of consolidating our most supported/popular suggestions into a single thread! i'm sure that would help the staff know what is most important to us. i would love to put that together if nobody else wants to :)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
echo (they/them)
snowclan wermz
the sanctuary
currently: happy holidays!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
x
echo into void

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ShadowKatto » Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:44 am

echo into void wrote:
Papilio Ulysses wrote:

i love the idea of consolidating our most supported/popular suggestions into a single thread! i'm sure that would help the staff know what is most important to us. i would love to put that together if nobody else wants to :)

That was (sort of) a thing once
Pet's name: Ashfur

ShadowKatto

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Papilio Ulysses » Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:11 am

ShadowKatto wrote:
echo into void wrote:
Papilio Ulysses wrote:

Sort of, yes. However, the perceived progress of those suggestions by the community hasn't seen much change. The new rarity system is certainly a big step forward, but there are still so many outstanding QoL suggestions of which we don't really know their status. Especially ones pertaining to pet/item management. Ideas like collapsible groups/subgroups, Re-arrange pets in their groups, multiple wishlists, and item search in the Archive could have a tremendously positive impact on collecting and trading.

Let's take this scenario for example:

Over the last several years, when I'm sending a trade, I've been struggling to find where my open trade groups end and where my locked groups begin. It's different for each person I want to trade with, especially if I have a lot of their wishlist pets. It's so cumbersome to click through pages and pages of my trade partner's wishlist pets to find what I want to offer.

So, rather than looking at an aggregate of suggestions, we want to narrow things down and see which suggestions can be (or are being) prioritized. I'm thinking along the lines of having more community input in deciding which features are sorely needed and can be implemented a bit sooner at this point.
** Tʜᴇ Eɴᴄʜᴀɴᴛɪɴɢ Sᴀɴᴄᴛᴜᴀʀʏ **

Bye bye, little butterfly~
-----------------Image-----------------
Papilio Ulysses

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Celozon » Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:38 pm

Papilio Ulysses wrote:
ShadowKatto wrote:
echo into void wrote:

Sort of, yes. However, the perceived progress of those suggestions by the community hasn't seen much change. The new rarity system is certainly a big step forward, but there are still so many outstanding QoL suggestions of which we don't really know their status. Especially ones pertaining to pet/item management. Ideas like collapsible groups/subgroups, Re-arrange pets in their groups, multiple wishlists, and item search in the Archive could have a tremendously positive impact on collecting and trading.

I would like to clarify that the reason that thread did not produce much in the way of results, as I and other staff tried to point out at the time, is because it is not a good medium to explore suggestions and get community input on specific suggestions.

There is a reason most threads are about a single topic of discussion. Trying to discuss multiple very different suggestions ended up causing a suggestion to be talked about for a page or two before someone would bring up a different idea and that would be talked about instead. The point of having a public suggestions board is that users can give their argument why a suggestion should be implemented and the userbase as a whole has an opportunity to make their own voices heard on that. Just because 1, 2 or even 10 people think a suggestion is good, doesn't mean there aren't 20 more who disagree. Confining the discussion about a suggestion to one or two pages in a 200 page topic means that the vast majority of players never even had the opportunity to give their own opinions on it before the thread moved to a new suggestion. As a result the suggestions end up only reflecting on the opinions of a few users and doesn't tell us if thats how the userbase as a whole feels about it.

This is why staff requested many times in that thread that people who had suggestions make separate threads in the suggestions board for each one, so they could be meaningfully discussed. Unfortunately I only ever saw maybe 2 or 3 suggestions get their own threads made. I personally do try to push for suggestions that are highly requested, and I think would help improve the site, but its hard to stand behind a suggestion that has only a handful of support buried in a giant topic. I personally also think its very important to discuss how an idea would be implemented, pros and cons, and different ways it could be done to find the most ideal method. This provides admins with a clear picture of what users actually want. Unfortunately its impossible to discuss these in detail on a thread that is constantly changing topics.

To further my point, that thread has a google spreadsheet with all the suggestions, and almost all of them do not link to the point in the thread where it was suggested. This means that almost every suggestion there amounts to a single sentence idea. Some are colored to show that the person who put it together though they got 'notable attention', but how much is that? How many agreed? Does that include those who thought it sounded fine but weren't enthusiastic? Were some users only in support if it were implemented in a certain way? There is no way to tell without digging through the 200 pages to find it. Some of these suggestions phrased so vaguely its unclear how they would even be implemented. 'Limit C$ Inflation' is fine as an idea and I'm sure many agreed, but it says nothing about what should actually be done. Maybe the original poster discussed it more but its not linked.

I do try hard to provide constructive criticisms on things like this. I have no desire to silence users, I find many suggestions to be interesting ideas that I never would have thought of myself and think its good users have a space to suggest these things. While that thread did do a good job of showing that many users were upset about suggestions not being implemented, saying that the thread is a compilation of suggestions and admins just didn't do anything is a bit untrue in my opinion. At least in my own opinion, nothing about that thread worked well as a way to compile suggestions or discuss them, and as a result not much could be implemented from it.

--

In regards to this thread as a whole;

In the end, the admins are the final say on what gets implemented and I do share the frustration with how some suggestions seem to sit around forever without being implemented. However, I do think its important to be aware of what work needs to go into a suggestion to implement it. A suggestion might sound simple but need a whole new system to be built in the back end for it to actually run. Whether its ideal or not we do only have one site coder and at least while that is the case I think we should be realistic about what we expect a single person to be creating while also doing the regular back-end maintenance of the site and everything else required of a site coder. Thats why I tend to prefer suggestions that require little to no additional coding to be done as those are more likely to be implemented quickly if admins decide its a viable suggestion since either other staff can do the bulk of the work required or it would not be too time consuming for Nick to implement.

Word walls aside, I think a thread compiling popular suggestions is fine as an idea, but would requiring linking to all said suggestions, and technically the suggestion's directory is already that so another thread would probably be considered too similar. I'd suggest replying on the directory thread with any suggestions that are missing from it so they can be added, and replying on suggestions you do think are good so they can get more user feedback. I do understand the frustration on suggestions never getting admin feedback and I personally would like to see more input on suggestions as well, but I do think it goes go a long way to be able to show admins a well thought out suggestion with a lot of feedback and support on it.
ImageImage
Celozon
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Madel » Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:44 pm

support!
a lot of the suggestions have so many pages of support but are from years ago.
I have patiently been waiting for a lot out confirmation button for years :lol:

╔══════════════════════╗
Mads | He/It | Adult
✧・゚: *✧・゚:*:・゚✧*:・゚✧
Wildlife scientist working in
animal rehabilitation and
rescue. I'm often busy with
work but feel free to DM or
trade me regardless!
Always looking for
macaws, dragons, and wl pets.
Image Image
╚═════════════════════╝
Madel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Clayflower. » Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:09 pm

Celozon wrote:
-snip-
In the end, the admins are the final say on what gets implemented and I do share the frustration with how some suggestions seem to sit around forever without being implemented. However, I do think its important to be aware of what work needs to go into a suggestion to implement it. A suggestion might sound simple but need a whole new system to be built in the back end for it to actually run. Whether its ideal or not we do only have one site coder and at least while that is the case I think we should be realistic about what we expect a single person to be creating while also doing the regular back-end maintenance of the site and everything else required of a site coder. Thats why I tend to prefer suggestions that require little to no additional coding to be done as those are more likely to be implemented quickly if admins decide its a viable suggestion since either other staff can do the bulk of the work required or it would not be too time consuming for Nick to implement.

Word walls aside, I think a thread compiling popular suggestions is fine as an idea, but would requiring linking to all said suggestions, and technically the suggestion's directory is already that so another thread would probably be considered too similar. I'd suggest replying on the directory thread with any suggestions that are missing from it so they can be added, and replying on suggestions you do think are good so they can get more user feedback. I do understand the frustration on suggestions never getting admin feedback and I personally would like to see more input on suggestions as well, but I do think it goes go a long way to be able to show admins a well thought out suggestion with a lot of feedback and support on it.

i want to preface that i 100% understand that it can take time to implement certain ideas! however i feel like that is a big ask from the community to put together something so large and expect people fill out a lot of the details and specifics. i believe that when you own a business or type of domain such as chicken smoothie, especially when you are selling virtual goods for real money, that some of the funds go to general site matinence at some point too **to edit, maybe something like a free-lance coder? not sure, just a thought **! and i know artists can be really expensive as well, but that is why i have emphasized how long some of the suggestions have been around.

i think if coders and admins took time to look at the general wants and needs of the community, maybe in a group setting / meeting, it's more up to them to ensure a system gets added in a way that works with what is generally wanted, and what's possible for the coders. the community isn't going to suggest things all the time that might not be possible, simply because we don't know how to code or how the system works.

i hope this made sense! a tl:dr is basically i think that when you are running a business, it should be natural to listen to feedback and take suggestions as your own building blocks. yes it can make it easier when compiled together, but it is also the owner's job to take the time to comb feedback and make general improvements over time <3

trade center
♡ says "dude" too much
♡ DC - Clayflower
♡ M • 2/13/2022

Clayflower.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby echo into void » Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:41 pm

Celozon wrote:Word walls aside, I think a thread compiling popular suggestions is fine as an idea, but would requiring linking to all said suggestions, and technically the suggestion's directory is already that so another thread would probably be considered too similar. I'd suggest replying on the directory thread with any suggestions that are missing from it so they can be added, and replying on suggestions you do think are good so they can get more user feedback. I do understand the frustration on suggestions never getting admin feedback and I personally would like to see more input on suggestions as well, but I do think it goes go a long way to be able to show admins a well thought out suggestion with a lot of feedback and support on it.

i understand your point of view 100% but if nick isn't able to keep up with the site and keep up with the changes that the community really want to see, shouldn't they hire another coder? it would help ease nick's load and also make sure that the community is actually feeling heard.

i feel like the big issue is that no responses/updates have been given for some suggestions that have massive support. if it can't be done, i'm sure we would all appreciate just an explanation as to why it can't be done. if it can be done but probably won't be done any time soon, we would appreciate that explanation as well. if the admins could just communicate a bit more in regards to specific suggestions and whether or not they are feasible, we would at least feel listened to.

in regards to the popular suggestions thread: yes, there is a suggestions directory, but that's not exactly the idea. the idea is to create polls and record the outcomes of those polls in order to figure out which suggestions have the most support and which ones the community thinks are the most important. to me, that is a completely different thing than just a directory.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
echo (they/them)
snowclan wermz
the sanctuary
currently: happy holidays!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
x
echo into void

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Celozon » Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:08 pm

(Small apologies ahead of time for my long responses, I do realize its a lot of text, just trying to be as clear as possible with my own thoughts. Would also like to add that all of this is my own personal opinion as a user and not any kind of official staff response)

Clayflower. wrote:i want to preface that i 100% understand that it can take time to implement certain ideas! however i feel like that is a big ask from the community to put together something so large and expect people fill out a lot of the details and specifics. i believe that when you own a business or type of domain such as chicken smoothie, especially when you are selling virtual goods for real money, that some of the funds go to general site matinence at some point too **to edit, maybe something like a free-lance coder? not sure, just a thought **! and i know artists can be really expensive as well, but that is why i have emphasized how long some of the suggestions have been around.

i think if coders and admins took time to look at the general wants and needs of the community, maybe in a group setting / meeting, it's more up to them to ensure a system gets added in a way that works with what is generally wanted, and what's possible for the coders. the community isn't going to suggest things all the time that might not be possible, simply because we don't know how to code or how the system works.

i hope this made sense! a tl:dr is basically i think that when you are running a business, it should be natural to listen to feedback and take suggestions as your own building blocks. yes it can make it easier when compiled together, but it is also the owner's job to take the time to comb feedback and make general improvements over time <3

I'm not referring to users needing to figure out all the specifics of coding or anything like that, but I have often seen suggestions being made that are just a vague idea of something, when it could be implemented in 5 very different ways. I sometimes try to engage with these and ask for more specifics on how they would want it implemented and don't usually get very far, sometimes no responses at all. I didn't want to point out specific examples so as to not seem targeted towards anyone or a certain suggestion. Most of the time I'm not opposed to the suggestion as a whole but its usually not something that staff or admins could really act on without just assuming what the userbase would want and risk implementing something that doesn't actually fill the desires of the users.

As an example rather than taking from an active suggestion I'll just point to a recent update, so its not a 1:1 thing but as a general idea: Rarity update and changing the rarity bars. There were several proposed ways to implement it, some of which were very different from others and would have a big impact depending on what was chosen. Imagine a user suggestion that just said 'fix the rarity system' and nothing else, its hard for staff to act on that. A thread was posted to get user feedback and allow people to explain why they wanted one over the other and offer ideas for changes (especially for how the rarity bars should look). Thats a lot more helpful feedback for staff and admins and lets us make sure we are implementing what the userbase wants. That should be the goal of suggestion threads. Theoretically the admins could make a thread like that for every suggestion of its type, but realistically they aren't going to do that unless they already plan to make the change and just want to confirm what the userbase wants. And I personally don't think there is any reason users should need to wait for or expect admins to make a thread when they can start those discussions themselves.

Obviously this doesn't apply to all suggestions and some are more self-explanatory and don't need added details or extended discussion like the rarity update. This usually ends up applying to suggestions for entirely new (and often large) things being added, or a change that would have a large impact on the userbase (like a rarity update). Other suggestions like tweaks to existing things on the site and small QOL don't usually have this issue. So not saying we need to have an indepth discussion on how reordering pet groups would work or anything like that.

It is also very hard for us to 'see' the general wants and needs of the userbase or how they want those implemented when they are scattered around a 200 page thread or talked about in a discord server instead of onsite. Suggestion threads also fill the roll of consolidating the userbase's feelings on a specific suggestion in one place. This thread itself is only a few pages and already has people discussing suggestions they want here instead of on the suggestion threads themselves. Perhaps the users have already made their opinions known on those threads so its not necessary to do so again, but I imagine some either have or will be posting here about what they want and not on those suggestion threads.

The thread I was referring to in my last post was full of this. As much as I try and keep up to date on the suggestions board, I personally did not have the free time to read every post on that thread, which got about 2k posts in 10 days. Very few suggestions in that thread were ever given their own thread (if there wasn't one already) or got their original thread for it bumped. As a result the actual suggestion threads don't even reflect how users were feeling because they were posting about it in a different thread. I'm not sure that staff should be expected to strain out the useful comments and try to match them to the relevant suggestion, especially when over 100 suggestions were discussed on that thread. We could (and did at the time) discuss it and there were suggestions from that thread that were implemented, but what about the rest going forward? Do we from now on need to reference not only the original suggestion thread, but also need to check any other places people talked about it? Even after asking users repeatably to give their support for those suggestions on the relevant threads? I'm not saying that staff shouldn't be keeping up to date on how the userbase is feeling in general, but I think its a pretty simple ask for users to also copy-paste their opinions into the relevant threads.

echo into void wrote:
    i understand your point of view 100% but if nick isn't able to keep up with the site and keep up with the changes that the community really want to see, shouldn't they hire another coder? it would help ease nick's load and also make sure that the community is actually feeling heard.

i feel like the big issue is that no responses/updates have been given for some suggestions that have massive support. if it can't be done, i'm sure we would all appreciate just an explanation as to why it can't be done. if it can be done but probably won't be done any time soon, we would appreciate that explanation as well. if the admins could just communicate a bit more in regards to specific suggestions and whether or not they are feasible, we would at least feel listened to.

in regards to the popular suggestions thread: yes, there is a suggestions directory, but that's not exactly the idea. the idea is to create polls and record the outcomes of those polls in order to figure out which suggestions have the most support and which ones the community thinks are the most important. to me, that is a completely different thing than just a directory.

I personally don't have any say on whether we get more coders. I think it would be helpful for there to be more and I've made my opinion on that known. Just in my own opinion I don't think its especially constructive to say that we should just get more coders. Moving forward assuming we'd get more coders when we might not, in my opinion, creates unrealistic expectations. I'd rather focus on working what what I've got right now and continue to make my opinions known. Thats why I move forward with suggestions under the assumption we will only have one coder to help implement it. If others feel differently thats fine, but thats the perspective I am writing from in my posts.

I also don't really have any say on what suggestions can or can't be done. This is often decided by admins who are far more familiar with the intricacies of the back-end of CS and are more knowledgeable as to whether a certain suggestion can't be done due to issues it could cause, that its just too difficult to do, or just isn't something they want to implement. We do pass up user suggestions to the admins and if they give us a reason why it can't be done we communicate that to the users. From what I understand there are plenty of suggestions that admins think are fine but haven't been able to implement yet. Its possible part of the concern is that admins posting on a thread saying its on their to-do list would probably create the expectation that it would happen very soon or is high on the list which may not be the case. Its likely in those cases they wouldn't be able to even give a time frame on when it would happen, which might end up feeling like empty promises to users after a while. Thats just a few possible reasons why the admins may not want to do that, not a point I'm arguing for or against.

I do also realize the proposed thread would be more specific to the most popular suggestions as opposed to all suggestions but polls don't really replace actual conversions, and would probably encourage people to discuss the suggestion in that thread instead of the actual suggestion thread, splitting the perceived support, any new ideas or proposed changes to the suggestion, etc. Is there some reason that just posting on the threads users support would be less effective than answering a poll? At least in my eyes, the threads on their own are essentially already a poll. I'm mainly just concerned with what I talked about above in my response to Clayflower about opinions on things being scattered around. As said, I'm not really against the idea of a thread compiling all the most popular suggestions, but I am not sure it is enough of its own thread, when compared to similar ones like the existing directory, to be useful.
ImageImage
Celozon
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Clayflower. » Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:50 pm

i see your points! while reading, it seems like a more organized way of feedback needs to be achieved for some more efficiency as a whole.

maybe adding some structure to feedback threads can help. for example; adding keywords maybe. for example a thread could be discussing topics "x", "y" and "z".

user feedback could be categorized by filling out a form such as:

Feedback type: x
Suggestion:
Reason:

it could maybe help give more categorized feeback, and could be filtered using the search function for lets just say "x" so you only get feedback for that topic.

otherwise maybe there is another way offsite to organzie something, but adding more structure to the way feedback is received might help if it was set up properly

trade center
♡ says "dude" too much
♡ DC - Clayflower
♡ M • 2/13/2022

Clayflower.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me