Artist taikunfoo [gallery]
Time spent 2 minutes
Drawing sessions 2
7 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

Carolina Shepherds V2

Postby taikunfoo » Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:43 am

Breed Information:
Carolina Shepherds were developed in the Adirondack Mountains as a versatile companion with an exceptional nose and stamina. They were bred to track scents over challenging mountain terrain through any weather. These dogs are intelligent with moderate to high energy and a moderate prey drive. Carolina Shepherds tend to bond closely to one person or a family unit and get along well with other dogs, although caution should be exercised with smaller pets. They are food, toy, and/or praise driven and excel in nosework, tracking, and search and rescue. Carolina Shepherds are affectionate towards their owners and family units, but aloof towards strangers and unfamiliar animals.

Carolina Shepherds are mainly descended from Carolina Dogs and German Shepherds, however a number of different breeds have been mixed in over the years. As a result the breed has a variety of permitted coat markings, coat lengths, ear types, and tail lengths. Carolina Shepherds weigh between 40 and 70 lbs and range in height from 21 to 29 in.

With the breed becoming more popular over recent years, the Blue Ridge Club was formed to showcase the abilities of these dogs and participate in Search and Rescue activities throughout the Adirondack Mountains. They maintain a number of Carolina Shepherds for training and breeding purposes that are freely available to the community.

Lines drawn by the talented Fantelle with edits by me.
Last edited by taikunfoo on Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
taikunfoo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Getting Started

Postby taikunfoo » Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:45 am

How do I get a Carolina Shepherd?
Dogs are freely available for adoption on the adopts page, those not yet adopted will be marked with a brown background. Read the description under the dog’s image for more information as to how to adopt that specific dog.
You may also adopt a dog from our pound.

Do I need to do anything to participate in the community?
Signing up for a bank account is encouraged before you enter competitions, so your rewards can be deposited directly into it. You can sign up for a bank account here whether or not you have a Carolina Shepherd already!

You may also get started on your kennel thread, a place to store information, art, competition results, and equipment information about your dogs. How you design it is up to you, however most usually have the dog’s genotype, a picture (or pictures) of the dog, the dog’s equipment (if any), their traits, and competition results. Kennel threads can be hosted offsite (ie toyhouse, google sites, etc), however it is encouraged to keep them on chickensmoothie.

How can I talk with others about Carolina Shepherds?
We use discord to keep in touch. Creating an account is free, and the link to join the Carolina Shepherds group is here. Folks can trade dogs, discuss events, ask questions, set up breedings with other users, share art, show off their dogs, and more on the discord server! You don’t need to own a Carolina Shepherd to join our server.
(Link updated 7/5/21, please pm me if it is not working!)

Can I participate in anything if I don’t have a Carolina Shepherd yet?
Yes! Club dogs are available for people who don’t have a Carolina Shepherds to enter Search and Rescue (SAR) with. You can get rewards while using club dogs, which are deposited into your bank (or held until you create a bank account). You can look at the club dogs available to use here, and get more information about competitions and SAR here.
taikunfoo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

FAQs

Postby taikunfoo » Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:48 am

Adopts:

I’m having a hard time getting an adopt - I’ve submitted multiple entries but haven’t won one yet!
Please keep trying - there are often multiple people interested in adopts! You can also check out the discord or discussion thread to see if anyone is selling a Carolina Shepherd. It is also possible to find abandoned dogs in Search and Rescue (SAR), which you can participate in without owning a dog! You can also try adopting a dog from our pound!

An adopt hasn’t been judged by an artist yet and it’s past the posted end date/time - who won it?
Artists may have other things going on that prevent them from logging in to say who won the adopt immediately. If it’s been longer than a week from the posted end date please reach out on discord to let the admins know, and we’ll step in and assign a winner.

Can I get a custom Carolina Shepherd?
We have started offering custom carolina shepherds, check out the custom information here.

Breedings:

How do I breed my dog or dogs?
Keep an eye on the breeding page to see when an artist opens up breeding slots! Fill out the form and check to make sure everything is correct.

How do I breed my dog with another user’s dog?
If two users want to breed their dogs together, they must give permission for the breeding and provide proof (ie screenshot) of the permission. Please read the additional information in the nursery as to how this works!

How do I breed my dog with a club dog?
Each time an artist opens breedings, they will offer a breeding to one male club dog and one female club dog. List them as the father/mother and ‘Club Dog’ for owner, then fill out the form normally.

I don’t have a dog to breed. Can I breed the two offered club dogs together?
No, you must use at least one of your dogs in a breeding.

How many breedings do I get a month?
Each user is allowed 3 breedings per month. These may be personal or split breedings.

Why wasn’t my breeding accepted?
Please review your form - are there any mistakes, typos, missing information, or broken links? If you don’t see any of these please ask someone to review your breeding post in the discord help channel.

What does roll for traits mean?
Roll for traits allows your dogs to inherit the traits of both parents and gives them the option to roll additional random traits.

What if I don’t want traits on the puppies?
If you want puppies to be rolled with no traits, then answer ‘no’ for the roll for traits question. Please note that it is assumed that you do want to roll for traits, so if you do not want traits in a split breeding you must specify that in both permissions.

Can I inbreed?
Yes, however there are penalties for inbreeding that is present in the parents’ lineages. Please be cautious and carefully review your pairings, as severe inbreeding can result in empty litters, blind, deaf, and/or sterile puppies. If you want to inbreed for a split litter, both permissions must indicate this.

What is an empty litter?
An empty litter is when two dogs are bred and their breeding slots are used, however no puppies are produced due to inbreeding or lethal gene combinations. The lethal gene combinations are HH, ohoh, ohob, and obob.

Where can I find the risks of merle, high white, and inbreeding?
Please take a look at the information here

One of my puppies is impaired, what does that mean?
If a puppy has high risk genes or inbreeding, then there is a chance they will be blind and/or deaf. Dogs can be unilaterally (one eye or ear) or bilaterally (both eyes or both ears) impaired. A dog that is impaired in any way cannot participate in search and rescue (SAR) or conformation. Check out this chart to see what sport(s) your impaired dog can compete in.

Why was my dog sterilized?
Seriously impaired dogs that are blind and deaf are prevented from breeding and competing. Dogs with Degenerative Myelopathy are also sterilized due to the severity of their genetic illness.

Do I need to health test my dog(s) prior to breeding?
No, but it is strongly encouraged.

What are the possible puppies from these two dogs?
Please ask this question in the discord help channel.

Traits:

How can I add traits to my dog?
Traits can be purchased in the store with SAR points.

How many traits can I add to my dog?
Each dog may have a maximum of 5 traits added to them.

My dog has a bad trait, can I get rid of it?
No, once a dog has a trait it can’t be removed. You may add a beneficial trait that cancels out the penalty though.

Do I have to list all of the traits in the forms?
Yes, please list all traits, both positive and negative, unless otherwise specified (for example, not wanting to roll for traits in a breeding).

Archive:

The archive hasn’t been updated with my dog yet!
Please give us patience - archive updates are an ongoing work in progress and will be updated when the archivist has free time.

How do I transfer a dog I’ve sold to another user?
Please post on the archive updates thread and fill out the appropriate form with the correct information.

I noticed an error or mistake on the dog’s page, what should I do?
Please let us know in the archive updates thread and fill out the error form.

I’ve changed my username, what do I have to do?
Please post on the archive updates thread with the username change form. This allows us to update the ownership of your dogs and bank account in our records. If you try to participate in a breeding or activity without changing your username it will be rejected as your new username won’t show up as being the owner of your dogs.

Store:

Where can I see my bank balance?
Banking information for all users is stored here (google drive link)

Do I need to set up a bank account?
Yes, please fill out the bank account creation form and post on the store page. If a user wins something that needs a bank account, they will be prompted to create one if they do not have one already.

How can I purchase something in the store?
Please leave a comment on the store page and fill out the item purchase form. The item will be added to your bank unless you indicate it should apply to one of your dogs. Note that breeding items cannot be applied to dogs, only breeding forms.

How do I apply an item in my bank to one of my dogs?
Please leave a comment on the store page and fill out the item application form.

Can I transfer SAR points or items to another user?
Yes, you may. Please fill out the transfer form and post on the store page.

Can I apply one of my items to a friend’s dog as a surprise/gift?
No, you can only apply items to your own dogs. You can surprise them with a transfer of the item to them though! Please fill out the transfer form and post on the store page.

I’ve made a comment to purchase an item in the store, but it hasn’t been added to my bank yet.
Purchases are made as the staff get to them, so there may be time between your purchase and when it is added to your bank account. If you are planning on a breeding or competition entry that needs items you should make those purchases in advance of when you will need them.

If you have any questions not covered here or on their respective pages, please ask for help in the discord help channel.
taikunfoo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Reserved

Postby taikunfoo » Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:48 am

Reserved
taikunfoo