Trading messages not being used

Suggest new features or changes to Chicken Smoothie.

Trading messages not being used

Postby RockaGal » Tue May 07, 2024 9:30 pm

Hello all,

Am getting fed up of getting trades or people cancelling my fair trades without even a small simple message or a default one. Maybe to avoid this problem CS could make it mandatory to include a message or even a default of some kind like a COPPA user does, as it is not helpful to trading at all and I end up blocking anyone that does this as there is a message area to put a message and it is stated in my trade rules and is just polite and helps in trading better as we then know what each other is trying to achieve or want, particularly if it is a suggestion. Not sure why these people really think not communicating helps when negotiating something and trading. I and others actually find it makes trading much harder as we do not even know what you want then as there is no communication. Maybe something could be done to make this part of trading better?
Go Sandslash!

:) Please don't be shy, I like looking at new trades :)
RockaGal

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Trading messages not being used

Postby Rancid Roadkill » Tue May 07, 2024 11:35 pm

Unfortunately social anxiety exists. Not everyone is able to conjure up a message or response and that's perfectly fine. I personally struggle with it at times and don't always leave a messages. If a suggestion is sent without a message, I can understand that, but otherwise it's pretty direct. Nobody has to give reason as to why a trade is canceled. They weren't interested in the offer given, so I'd just leave it at that.

Goals
Aiming to collect 100 of every Hamster on CS
Currently have 57,000 hamsters in the hoard!
The Hammy Hoard

Progress
Dwarf Hamster: 308 of 335 Completed!
Syrian Hamster: 264 of 280 Completed!

Auctions
150 Rares UFA! All Good/High Demand Pets!
Rancid Roadkill

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Xiao_Jian » Wed May 08, 2024 12:07 am

Trades can be cancelled for any reason, no one is owed an answer.
Obviously messages with suggestions are helpful, but you can't force anyone to communicate. Especially if there is a barrier or disability that makes it difficult.
Block people who don't match your trading style and move on.
Xiao_Jian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Wookieinmashoo » Wed May 08, 2024 12:20 am

Some people struggle with messages and may not want to come off sounding rude to others, therefore decide to say nothing. Some people just are not feeling up to dealing with trades therefore cancel them with no message. Some people cancel without a message if a rule was broken. People are not obligated to leave a message.

I will try to explain to someone why I cancel a trade, but sometimes it's hard and listing off all the broken rules as it might come off as rude. In those cases I just prefer a " thank you for the offer, but I'm not interested". If someone uses a hoard pet to get around a wishlist lock, then I will most likely cancel the trade without a message.

I often look at my trade rules to see what I wrote, or didn't write, that prompted a certain trade. Did I miss something? Was something a bit confusing? Did group names contradict something in my trade rules? Do I have too much written in the trade rules? If my attention span for reading someone's rules is very short, there are people out there that have shorter ones. I try to see things from the other person's perspective and adjust accordingly.

I don't think people should be required to leave a message. If a rule like that is in place, people would just fill it with gibberish if they don't feel like saying anything. Or people will just stop trading, which is what I don't want.

Darkcloud! wrote:Support, with specifically the default messages added.
As examples:
"Please follow my trade rules."
"No, but thank you for sending a trade!"
"Not right now, thank you."
"I am saving this pet for a different trade."
"Sorry, this pet is already in another trade."
"This trade doesn't feel fair to me, sorry."

If people are wanting to discus a trade and send it back and forth for edits, they would constantly have to select one of these buttons and that would be pretty annoying.

Darkcloud! wrote:
As Elm said, communication is a two way street. Not communicating back at all actively harms the trading community, is discouraging, and for new players, might drive them away from trading.

I'm pretty sure this is in regards to people blocking others over trades, not sending a trade without a message.

Since this was moved to the suggestion forum, I'm just going to include "no support"
Last edited by Wookieinmashoo on Sun May 19, 2024 1:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
Wookieinmashoo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Elm » Wed May 08, 2024 12:40 am

I just view cancelled trades as a “No thank you” to the specific offer. A lot of players are adults with full time jobs/families/college that dont get a lot of free time to hop onto cs anymore. If its a pet im looking for i tend to send them a pm asking about it as i dont think blocking would help the cs community with communication.

Communication is a two way street and a lot of the time people respond to pms! <3
Selling 1,450+ Rares for C$!
Elm

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Darkcloud! » Wed May 08, 2024 2:24 am

Support, with specifically the default messages added.
As examples:
"Please follow my trade rules."
"No, but thank you for sending a trade!"
"Not right now, thank you."
"I am saving this pet for a different trade."
"Sorry, this pet is already in another trade."
"This trade doesn't feel fair to me, sorry."

Things that follow the existing language on the site, offer polite options for those with anxiety or someone who might be tempted to lash out, and cover the general range of why a trade might be declined.

As Elm said, communication is a two way street. Not communicating back at all actively harms the trading community, is discouraging, and for new players, might drive them away from trading.

No message means that if you try again to send a trade, the person might lash out at you! As someone with anxiety I hate seeing my trades cancelled with no message as it makes me wonder what I did to upset the other person and if it's worth the risk of an angry reply or a block if I try again with something different. What rule might I have missed? Do they just not want the pets? Did I offer for something they don't want to trade?

I hear the arguement "just go trade with someone else" a lot, but if you play at the same time... you get the same users. CS jumps to a wider group of people for events but daily? There's only 100-300 (per time zone shift, tops out at about 1k total daily users) people on regularly and they are going to be the same people following their work/school/life patterns. If we can't be bothered to respond and communicate to people who are around us, it's not reasonable to expect others to break their life routine and change up the times they are online just to find new people.

Requiring a message and providing polite and reasonable replies that can be chosen from just like COPPA would vastly improve the trading scene, more people would walk away from a cancelled trade feeling like they understand how to trade better and no one is mad at them, and COPPAs/new users would benefit greatly by being given a set of tools for cancelling trades, as well as the busy players who don't have time to type out a message.

semi-active, missed years 2012 and 2013 entirely- about halfway to catching up!
Looking to complete years 2011, 2014-16 and 2021-23!
Darkcloud!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shooting Stars » Wed May 08, 2024 1:48 pm

Just going to start by saying that I will always include a message when I send a trade, and will always include one when I reply to a trade I receive. (Accepting, editing, and declining). The only times I'll cancel without a message is in extreme circumstances, like rudeness or begging.
Most of the time I'll even include why I'm cancelling as well. If not, I'm kind and will thank the sender for taking the time to send me a trade. I know not everybody does this, but it's not a 'nobody communicates anymore' sort of deal either.

I only ask that suggestions include a message, so I know what the sender wants me to do with the trade. But honestly, most of the time, trade messages aren't needed. Most trades are pretty straightforward like swaps. It's nice of course, but it's not going to affect whether or not I accept the trade. "These people" may be busy with work/school/life, may not know English very well, have social anxiety, etc..

And yes, I would like to know why a trade I sent was cancelled, but it's not a big deal, and I'm certainly not thinking that they're mad at me. I just shrug and assume they weren't interested or preferred their thing(s) better. I'll forget about it in a few hours! (Speaking as somebody with anxiety herself)

I would much rather, a million times over, have a trade cancelled without a message than having it be left to rot. Which is something I loathe, and it's something that is rude and insulting, as it's completely ignoring somebody. A trade that is cancelled, with or without a message, is in fact, communication. Being left to rot will make me wonder what I did wrong. While most of the time I won't block somebody for doing so, I do often hold it against them in future trades.
(I confess that I am a grudge-holder, it's my worst fault.) A part of this comes from years of being ignored by certain family members and other people, and it's made me bitter.

I completely agree with @Wookieinmashoo in regards to forced messages!!

♫ Currently living on the air in Cincinnati ♫

| xxx |
Featured Song: All The Things You Are -
Helen Forrest w/ Artie Shaw & His Orchestra
Shooting Stars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby LunarLights20 » Wed May 08, 2024 2:02 pm

Hello, I would like to pop in and say... What you might consider "fair" others might not. Some people can value a certain pet more than others. For example, I value dogs way more than I do rats, but I have met people that would think I'm crazy for not holding rats to a higher value. Some also have different ways of calculating rarity, like two very uncommons equal one rare, two rares equal one very rare, and the combinations continue from there. Some even consider the years of the pets while others don't care. Someone canceling a trade without a message is a clear no/no thank you. Like the first person also said, no one is owed a reason why a trade is canceled.
ImageImage Image
LunarLights20

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby LizzieLuna » Wed May 08, 2024 2:11 pm

I always send a message with sent trades, and with trades received and accepted/declined… but I don’t send a message if I cancel a trade bc it’s been sitting over 7 days. Or less if it’s been like 3 days and I found a more responsive trader to send that pet to. I figure they haven’t read the trade in 3 days, they probably aren’t active or don’t care about trades.

On PFQ they get 24 hours ha.
LizzieLuna

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby LunarLights20 » Wed May 08, 2024 2:17 pm

LizzieLuna wrote:I always send a message with sent trades, and with trades received and accepted/declined… but I don’t send a message if I cancel a trade bc it’s been sitting over 7 days. Or less if it’s been like 3 days and I found a more responsive trader to send that pet to. I figure they haven’t read the trade in 3 days, they probably aren’t active or don’t care about trades.

On PFQ they get 24 hours ha.

PFQ is more strict with trades and does have set trade rules, while CS is more leisurely when it comes to it. It's hard to compare the 2 in this instance '^^
ImageImage Image
LunarLights20

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me