Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!
Click here to see the full Art Rules!

Egyptian Razorbacks V.2 by PrincessAlexis

Based on Click to view
Artist PrincessAlexis [gallery]
Time spent 6 hours, 52 minutes
Drawing sessions 11
21 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

Egyptian Razorbacks V.2

Postby PrincessAlexis » Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:19 pm

ImageEgyptian RazorbacksImage

Version 2.0

Say Hello to Our Mascot, Zeke!

Adopts | Customs | Breeding | Sports

Genetics | Adopt Archive | Custom Archive | Artist Search

Join Our Discord
Community members get access to raffles, giveaways, customs, and other bonuses.

Egyptian Razorback - Basic Information
English Names: Egyptian Razorback, Egyptian Ridgeback
Arabic Name: عمود فقري حاد
3amod fukry 7aad (pronounced "Ahmoud Foukry Hahd"), literally means "sharp spine", written here in Franco-Arabic, with phonetic pronunciation.

The Egyptian Razorback is a medium-sized dog, approximately 17-22 inches at the withers and weighing anywhere from 25 to 50 lbs. The breed's most distinctive features are their egg-shaped heads with prominent Roman noses and the ridge of fur which stands up along their spines. The fur on working dogs is typically smooth but well-to-do pet owners particularly enjoy the feathered variety. While the dogs are quite well-muscled, they are also incredibly lean with well-defined ribs and prominent bone structure.

As for coloration, their eyes are frequently blue regardless of coat color, although they may also be brown, amber, or rarely a pale green. Heterochromia is also commmon and may be complete, sectoral, or even central. The skin on their nose and paw pads may be black, liver, blue, pink, or mottled. Their tongues may be either blue, pink, or spotted and while the blue tongue is more rare it is highly prized.

While there are no strict limitations on coat color, brindle and merle tend to be more common while piebald appears less frequently. All natural colors and patterns are permitted.

Egyptian Razorback - Breed History

Egyptian people have a long history of favoring purebred dogs and devaluing mixed breeds and even first-generation crosses, which would be considered expensive "designer dogs" in certain countries. Often these puppies are abandoned in the street and left to fend for themselves. The Fallahi people (underpriveledged farmers) will take pups which are young enough and raise them, being unable to afford the higher-priced pedigreed dogs. It is well-known that due to the lack of medical care, only the very strongest and healthiest animals will survive and their offspring are known to be extremely resilient to all manner of diseases.

The wealthy Abd Al-Aziz family - owner of several farms and estates - took notice of the incredible health of the Fallahi dogs and decided to launch a breeding program dedicated to combining their vigor and robustness with the more exotic looks of the family's own imported dogs to create a breed which was flashy enough to appeal to the upper class while still being sound enough to perform their work, even in situations where veterinary attention may be less-than-adequate.

Aside from Egyptian street-dogs, other breeds which contributed to the development of the Egyptian Razorback include the English Bull Terrier, Catahoula Leopard Dog, Cambodian Razorback, Saluki, and American Pit Bull Terrier.

A Special Note on Cropping and Docking:
In the early days of the breed's history, cropping and docking was done to eliminate the floppy ears and straight tails which occasionally occurred. While these traits are no longer seen in purebred Egyptian Razorbacks, the aesthetic has become commonplace and many owners prefer to see their dogs with these traditional features. Unlike most other breeds, the ears are often cropped into a rounded shape, which (combined with the larger ridge sizes) contributes to a hyena-like appearance.

Owner: PrincessAlexis
    This breed was created by PrincessAlexis during her years living abroad in Egypt,
    and was originally hosted on DA but has been moved to CS Oekaki.

Font Credit Cloudy Moon Credit Egypt Stamp Credit

Rules:
-Owners may have as many Egyptian Razorbacks as they wish.
-If you take your Egyptian Razorback offsite, you must link back here.
-Dogs may be traded, gifted, or sold. All transfers must take place on ChickenSmoothie or the Egyptian Razorback Discord, and both the old and new owner must post on the dog's page.
-Your dogs will never be taken from you, even if you are banned from ChickenSmoothie.

Artist Rules:
-You may decide what type of competition you wish to hold in order for the winner to obtain the adopt.
-All contests must have an end date! Contests not judged within one month of the end date will be judged by staff.
-Artists get one Staff Custom every month that they create adopts for the community. A single extra Staff Custom may be awarded to those who create at least 5 adopts in a single calendar month.
Last edited by PrincessAlexis on Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:21 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Egyptian Razorbacks!
NEW Artist Search ☆ Temporary Hiatus ☆ Our Discord!

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageCheck Out My Characters! =)

☆ ☆ ☆ ImageImage Image☆ ☆ ☆

I'm looking for an artist to design a ribbon / rosette base for the Egyptian Razorbacks closed-species competitions. Willing to pay well depending on your skill level. Please PM me with examples of your work.
PrincessAlexis

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Egyptian Razorbacks V.2

Postby PrincessAlexis » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:33 am

ImageNewsImage

September 29, 2022; I've just released the first dog with custom lineart edits, #A-021! They've got their ears cropped tall like a Doberman (and that feature has been permanently added for use on other adopts, founders, customs, etc). They also have a special choke-chain collar with a star-shaped tag. I'm going to be working on a lot of lineart edits for Spooky Season, and then once I get more confident with my abilities I will start adding more features onto the year-round base. I hope everybody enjoys! Feel free to post on this thread, send me a PM, or message on Discord if you have any ideas, comments, or suggestions! <3

September 26, 2022; Spooky Season is almost here! I've been looking over some applications for this dog to get ideas for what everyone wants to see this coming Halloween, and it looks like lineart edits are at the top of the list! To celebrate, I've done two versions of fangs - one for the open-mouthed lineart and one for the closed-mouth lineart as well. I'm also experimenting with a Doberman-style cropped ear. Look out for these on adopts in the coming month! If you've got any ideas, please share either as a post here, a PM to me, or an entry for the doggo linked above!

September 14, 2022; Please welcome Marz-Barz and acronymm to the team! They've both done some amazing Artist Search entries and been added to the lines. With three of us making adopts now, it shouldn't take us too long to get to #A-50, at which time the nursery will be opened up and we will take the first Egyptian Razorback breedings and get some nice litters created!

Last edited by PrincessAlexis on Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:42 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Egyptian Razorbacks!

I'm looking for an artist to design a ribbon / rosette base for the Egyptian Razorbacks closed-species competitions. Willing to pay well depending on your skill level. Please PM me with examples of your work.
PrincessAlexis

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PrincessAlexis » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:35 am

ImageAvailable AdoptsImage

No new adopts from me just for a little while until I'm caught up
on all the customs people won from the Halloween Event <3

Last edited by PrincessAlexis on Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:14 am, edited 47 times in total.

Egyptian Razorbacks!

PrincessAlexis

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PrincessAlexis » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:36 am

ImageReservedImage

Last edited by PrincessAlexis on Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Egyptian Razorbacks!

PrincessAlexis

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PrincessAlexis » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:37 am

ImageFoundersImage

Founders are now CLOSED!

Everyone is entitled to one free founder as a starter for their Kennel. To be qualified, all you need to do is create a storage space either here on ChickenSmoothie or on another site (I recommend Toyhou.se) and fill out the form below.

Ridge size for your founder is random, as are natural ear shapes. Feathering is rolled for, with a one in 7 chance of getting a feathered dog.

Founders may not have breed specific markings or chimerism.

Code: Select all
[center][b][u]I would like to claim my free founder![/u][/b][/center]
[b]Username:[/b]
[b]Storage:[/b] must be linked!
[b]Ear style:[/b] perky, asymmetrical, tipped, button,  cropped round, cropped short, cropped tall
[b]Tail Style:[/b] Natural, docked, or bobtail
[b]Roll for feathering?[/b] yes or no
[b]Base coat:[/b] Black, Brown, Blue, Lilac, Red, Yellow, White
[b]Three markings I prefer:[/b] list them here - three only, please! Must be markings which occur naturally in the domestic dog
[b]Markings I want to avoid:[/b] list them here

Last edited by PrincessAlexis on Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Egyptian Razorbacks!

PrincessAlexis

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PrincessAlexis » Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:43 am

Founders are now open again! Will be working on these between personal projects and adopts, so expect them to take a few days to weeks depending on difficulty. Simpler designs will be made first.

Egyptian Razorbacks!

PrincessAlexis

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PrincessAlexis » Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:10 pm

There's a giveaway going on in the Discord until September 5th, for a fully custom Egyptian Razorback.

Winner may decide on ear type, coat length, ridge size, tail, as well as color and markings. Accepting written descriptions as well as photo references.

Egyptian Razorbacks!

PrincessAlexis

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby medimedes » Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:56 am

I would like to claim my free founder!

Username: RammuIsWeird
Storage: https://toyhou.se/MoonStraka/characters/folder:3633046
Ear style: asymettical
Tail Style: Natural
Roll for feathering? yes
Base coat: Black,
Three markings I prefer: small spotting, chimerism, and uhhh idk i like contrasting colors
Markings I want to avoid: nothuing!!! i trust u!!
Hi I'm Thalimule
Im an artist
I enjoy Tf2 greatly!
Those are my Tf2 ocs! Refresh to see a new one :]
2 years on cs!
pm me with a silly photo of your pet and ill try to draw them
medimedes

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PrincessAlexis » Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:15 pm

New Artists and Upcoming Nursery Opening!

Everyone, please welcome our two new artists to the team, acronymm and Marz-Barz!

With three of us working on adopts, we should get to number 50 a lot quicker, at which time there will be a special surprise: the opening of the Egyptian Razorbacks nursery! It will be so nice to be able to breed our dogs and see what amazing results we get with all those genes!

Before we start breeding them I would like everyone's opinions:

Should Egyptian Razorback's markings have a rarity system or not? Breed specific markings will always be more rare than markings which naturally occur on dogs, but among natural dog markings should we make some more common than others or does everyone prefer things as a free-for-all? I have a chart prepared to show everyone for consideration, please vote yes or no.

[x]

Egyptian Razorbacks!

PrincessAlexis

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sleepyDandy » Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:17 pm

I would like to claim my free founder!
    Username: sleepyDandy
    Storage: Slatewood Kennels
    Ear style: perky or asymmetrical <3
    Tail Style: you pick!
    Roll for feathering? yes!
    Base coat: Black
    Three markings I prefer: agouti, points, and harlequin!
    Markings I want to avoid: brindle, blue, roaning
sleepyDandy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me