Belgian Kelpies Genetics

If you need to make more than one topic for your adoptables, you can put the extra topics in here. Please read stickies for more information

Belgian Kelpies Genetics

Postby IceFire » Fri May 22, 2015 12:43 am

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
archivebreeding threadfanclubinformationask.FM
kennel directoryadoption thread
competition arena

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

vocabulary

Blue a coat color that is typically a solid grey
    Brindle a pattern of alternating stripes of eumelanin and phaeomelanin pigmentation
    Dilution an effect on a coat color that causes it to become a paler shade like blue or cream
    Eumelanin a melanin pigment that causes some shade of black or brown coloration
    Irish Spotting a pattern of white markings that include white undersides, a white blaze and usually a white collar
    Liver a coat color that is typically brown but is occasionally used to describe a shade of orange
    Mask a pattern in which the muzzle and perhaps as far back as the ears are pigmented by eumelanin
    Merle a pattern which reminds one of marble in which the melanin pigment is swirled and patchy amongst many white areas
    Pheomelanin a melanin pigment that causes some shade of red, orange, gold or yellow coloration
    Piebald random spots of color on a white background
    Red a coat color that is typically the result of phaeomelanin pigmentation, however in some breeds such as Doberman Pinschers brown is called red
    Roan a pattern of intermingled white and colored hairs on some part of the body
    Ticked a pattern of many small pigmented spots on a white or roan background

taken from here
Last edited by deertush on Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
IceFire

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Belgian Kelpies Genetics

Postby IceFire » Fri May 22, 2015 12:49 am

organization of the genotype
K series/B series/D series/A series/E series/G series/S series/T series/Merle/Urajiro/Z series/Y series/V series

example genotype
Kkbr/BB/dd/Ayas/EmEm/gg/SSi/Tt/MM/Xx/Zz/YY/VV

+ = requires two of this allele
* = see below post for modifications

K Series+ - this locus determines if phaeomelanin can show through the B series

K - dominant black x (makes the dog fully black
    k - recessive black (allows pheomelanin)
    kbr* - brindle x (covers any red with brindle)

B Series+ - the darkest color on a dog, this determines what color it is

B - black
    b - liver x

D Series+ - this locus works alongside the B locus, having the opportunity to change its color

d - dilute x (becomes blue when black, becomes isabella when liver)
    D - does not carry the dilute gene

A Series+ - determines how eumelanin covers the dog

Ay* - sable
    aw - agouti/wild type
    at - tan points x
    a - recessive black x (makes the whole dog black)
    as - seal x (a dorsal stripe shows and the legs and tail are generally darker than the rest of the coat, it also lightens the dog's color)

E Series+ - extends the eumelanin and appears over the A series

Em - mask x
    e - recessive red x
    E - normal extension (does not affect the dog in any way)

G Series+ - greys out the eumelanin but can leave patches of regular colored fur. masks may not be affected

G - grey (greys out/dulls out the original coloration)
    g - non-grey

S Series - white markings on a dog, co-dominant markings

SS - no white
    Ssp - minimum white x
    spsp* - maximum white / piebald x
    Ssi - minimum irish spotting x
    sisi - irish spotting x

T Series - Removes flecks of the S series to show eumelanin or phaeomelanin

Tt - ticking x
    TT - heavy ticking
    TTr - roan with ticking
    Trt - roan
    TrTr - heavy roan x
    tt - clear white

M Series - Adds merling to the eumelanin

Mm* - Merle x
    MM* - Double merle x (will be infertile and have disabilities)
    mm - Non-merle

Urajiro+ - cream/white "points"

X - normal
    x - urajiro x (adds white/cream underbelly, facial markings, and legs on pheomelanin)

Z series+ - head shape

Z - Regulated head
    z - sloped head

Y series - Curled tail

Y - regulated tail
    y - curled tail

V series - Cotton-ball Syndrome

V - Smooth coat
    v - Long coat
Last edited by deertush on Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:46 pm, edited 18 times in total.
IceFire

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Belgian Kelpies Genetics

Postby IceFire » Fri May 22, 2015 1:29 pm

Mutations Without/of Alleles

Affected gene - example - mutation name - information

Kbr - x - N/A - removes random sections of brindle
    Ay - x -Clear sable - allows very few eumelanin and is difficult to distinguish from recessive red
    Ay - x - Tipped sable - allows eumelanin hairs usually on the back, head, ears and tail only
    Ay - x - Shaded sable - allows the top of the head, ears and back to have eumelanin. heavier than tipped sable
    at - x - Saddle point - tan points recede majorly
    at - x - Creeping tan/point - tan point is extended minorly
    at - x - Penciling - Black appears on the tan of the feet
    EmEm - X - Gazelle Mask - The mask extends further than normal, the face is covered and a line appears on the shoulder or ribs.
    Sp - x - Pseudo Irish Spotting - Actually piebald, it appears to be irish spotting
    N/A - x - Residual white - Very small patches of white. Usually only on the paws, chest, and muzzle.
    M - x - Tweed - turns the diluted parts of the coat into a variety of brown, grey and tan shades
    M - x - Cryptic merle - minimal merle, the dog is almost fully black
    N/A - x - Somatic mutation - occurs in the body cells after the embryo has begun to form
    N/A - x - Vitiligo - the coat cells stop being able to produce eumelanin, causing areas of white
    N/A - x - Snowflake - small white spots on the coat of the dog appears
Last edited by deertush on Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:59 pm, edited 9 times in total.
IceFire

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Belgian Kelpies Information

Postby IceFire » Fri May 22, 2015 1:29 pm

History
    Belgian Kelpies are not considered a particularly 'unique' breed. They are classified as a working designer breed by many professionals although they can be used for a variety of activities. They are a cross between the Belgian Malinios and Australian Kelpie, two very sturdy and tough dogs. Further back in their lineages shorthaired collies, dingos, german shepherds, and coolie dogs can be found.

This breed was bred in southern Belgium alongside their parent breed, the belgian manlinios. The people of Belgium have used this dog as Australia uses its own kelpie breed, heavily and without fail.

Characteristics
    One major characteristics that a belgian kelpie is known for is its ears. These dogs have very large and hairless ears, also aiding in their amazing sense of balance. A set of canals filled with fluid inside the inner ear send signals to the brain whenever the dog is active, keeping the dog balanced and ready to herd.

They also have a double coat that protects them from the elements of the outside and keeps them warm. This was a specially bred trait in autralian kelpies and german shepherd dogs that have carried down into our breed. Although be warned, these dogs do shed heavily during the spring and fall seasons. Bathing these dogs is not required due to their short coat and dense water-repellent fur.

Belgian kelpies can reach a maximum height of 25 inches and a minimum of 20 inches.

They can live up to 10 years but 15 years at the most.

A well fed belgian kelpie can reach 50 to 65 lbs and are never suggested to be overfed. Overfeeding can add to a shortend lifespan and heart risks.

Several health concerns include cerebellar abiotrophy(loss of coordination), cardiomyopathy(hereditary heart disease), canine hip dysplasia, and they are not hypoallergenic for humans. And unlike all other canines, a belgian kelpie only whelps one pup. No explanation is known for this and is suggested to be a hereditary mutation or a genetic malfunction within the breed.

Temperment & Social Interaction
    Much like common domesticated working dogs, belgian kelpies are very active and intelligent breed. Training is needed for specific tasks and for the dog in general. They are very loyal and protective of creatures they are closely bonded to. In normal situations they are very well-tempered and friendly to those that are friendly in return. If properly trained, they can be the best of dogs.

Diet
    Belgian kelpies eat a variety of foods. The most commonly fed item is storebought dog food and raw meat. Berries and some vegetables can be digested but it is suggested that an owner does reasearch before giving a kelpie or any dog unusual food.

Showing
    Any available showing besides non-working breed specific competition categories are allowed. Some of these shows and events include obedience trials, conformation dog shows, rallies that show off your dog's training, agility trials, tracking and hunting events, field events, coursing ability tests, earthdog events, herding trials, lure coursing, dock diving events, flyball recognition program, search and rescue dog titles, and therapy dog programs.
Last edited by deertush on Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:30 am, edited 4 times in total.
IceFire

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Belgian Kelpies Genetics

Postby IceFire » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:04 pm

Marking
IceFire