Dog Owner Chat v4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat v4

Postby Saracirce » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:29 pm

My Only Sunshine wrote:My dog Mocoa recently passed away. She was a beautiful chihuahua mix full of spirit, adopted from a shelter. I am dealing but hold lots of grief. Does anyone know how to help me with this pain in my heart. Mocoa truly was my little baby, and I need someone to comfort me who has also lost a dog. I'm not trying to be rude, but I would like a reply, (if I get one), from somebody who has lost a dog before. Thank you.

I went through this a year and a half ago with a chihuahua mix as well. Nothing truly makes the pain go away except time but some things that helped me in the moment were a shrine to her, thinking about her being pain free and free of her anxiety and fear, the support of my friends and knowing that she would never truly leave me because she shaped the person I became and shaped all my future relationships with dogs. The shrine contained my dog's harness, her favorite toy, a picture of me and her when we were younger, a personalized ornament sent to me by a friend that said 'I will see you when I get to heaven', and the card sent to me by the vet office where we took her to have her euthanize. I still miss her quite a bit sometimes but it's not nearly as painful as it was the first couple weeks after the fact.
"Only ignorance! Only ignorance! How can you talk about only ignorance? Don't you know that it is the worst thing in the world, next to wickedness? - and which does the most mischief, heaven only knows. If people can say 'Oh! I did not know, I did not mean any harm,' they think it is all right."
~ Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
Saracirce

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:33 pm

My Only Sunshine wrote:My dog Mocoa recently passed away. She was a beautiful chihuahua mix full of spirit, adopted from a shelter. I am dealing but hold lots of grief. Does anyone know how to help me with this pain in my heart. Mocoa truly was my little baby, and I need someone to comfort me who has also lost a dog. I'm not trying to be rude, but I would like a reply, (if I get one), from somebody who has lost a dog before. Thank you.

I've lost a dog before, and many other pets besides whom I've loved very dearly. I'd be happy to talk to you if you want to PM me.

Doing something to honor your dog's memory can help with grief. You could donate to the shelter where she came from, or if you are still in school hold a charity drive for pet food/supplies that can be donated. You could also consider volunteering at the shelter.

There are pet bereavement classes that might help you as well. Ask your local humane society and/or shelter and other such places if there are any near you.
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tipsy » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:37 pm

I need to vent, You guys can ignore this.

The owner of Missy and Swizzy, "D" likes to go down south and buys puppies (I guess they are cheaper down south?) and she brings them back and sells them. It annoys me to no end because she always says she needs the money and then she'll stop but, dogs are worth more than just money?! These poor puppies are being bought from their owners with the expectations that they are going to a nice new home with this friendly lady but then are sold off to her friends who get rid of them soon after. I keep telling myself to stand up to her and tell her what she is doing is wrong but when it comes up to it, I get nervous and back down.
Image This is one she bought today and I think she said she is going to buy another one tomorrow on her way back up :x .

D's husband is "R", a few days ago I ran into R and told him how we are working on Swizzy's dog aggression problems and how she is getting better and has improved a lot. I told him about Missy dog aggression as well and how we can handle Missy's aggression but Swizzy is a little more bull headed. THEN today I was on snapchat and I saw the story of the person who lives across the street from Missy and Swizzy (They own a Yorkie and a Maltese) R had Swizzy on a regular collar right in front of the house with both little dogs out barking. I guess while D was down south R decided to walk the dogs? I don't know why I walked Swizzy today and R never really does anything with the dogs. The neighbor and R was having a conversation on Swizzy dog aggression and the neighbor was recording it for some reason? Everytime Swizzy lunged at the little dogs barking running around her R pull up on her leash so she would stand on her back legs unable to reach the dogs and kinda smack her muzzle, I freaked out. I can't do anything about it because shes not my dog, she's theirs but He was just undoing EVERYTHING! We were teaching her about dogs are good and if a dog barked at her she should just run away, and she was making so much progress. When we walked her and the little dogs across the street were out she was able to make the decision to walk away and get treats, now I don't know what she'll do. He was just teaching her that dogs are bad. I don't know what to do, it just upsets me that I'm so useless in both situations with them.
Wub.

Tipsy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Blu Malinois » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:10 pm

my mom is concerned about us & border collies because she knows someone who said a bc can never be left alone. is this true? do you have a bc? where did you get them from? what experiences have you had?

sorry for all the questions, i'm just trying to know everything i can to help our family make the best decision possible. any help appreciated.

I own a Border Collie and yes, they can be left alone. I leave mine alone all the time around the house and out in our yard for various amounts of time. I taught him to remain calm and just relax or play with a toy whenever I leave him alone around the house. I also taught him to enjoy his crate, so I can leave him alone in there, too. However, just like with any other dog, you should make sure they are not left alone for a long period of time and bored, as that can lead to the dog being destructive. I got my BC from a breeder. I love BCs and its the breed I have the most experience with, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask!
Blu Malinois

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kasper » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:46 pm

Blu Malinois wrote:
    cardigan wrote:my mom is concerned about us & border collies because she knows someone who said a bc can never be left alone. is this true? do you have a bc? where did you get them from? what experiences have you had?

sorry for all the questions, i'm just trying to know everything i can to help our family make the best decision possible. any help appreciated.

I own a Border Collie and yes, they can be left alone. I leave mine alone all the time around the house and out in our yard for various amounts of time. I taught him to remain calm and just relax or play with a toy whenever I leave him alone around the house. I also taught him to enjoy his crate, so I can leave him alone in there, too. However, just like with any other dog, you should make sure they are not left alone for a long period of time and bored, as that can lead to the dog being destructive. I got my BC from a breeder. I love BCs and its the breed I have the most experience with, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

thank you so much for the help!

i've done fairly extensive research on the breed and spend about 45m a day (mon-fri) walking one (she belongs to one of my teachers), so i have a fairly good understanding of what a standard border collie is like. what should a first time bc owner know, or one who is considering bcs? we're an active family, and are aware that bcs require plenty of exercise.

is it against cs rules to ask you what breeder you got your pup from..? if not, i'd love to know if you'd be ok in telling me.

other questions:

- what should i look for in a bc breeder, other than the usual things that determine an ethical breeder?
    - i am at school 8am-3:30pm. is this an okay time for a bc to be left alone once mature? (i understand that i would need to follow usual puppy procedures while they are a puppy).
    - i have heard that border collies need a diet lower in protein (only 20% protein). is this true?

i will take any other questions to pm, as i know the rest of the thread probably doesn't want to be drowned in my questions, haha.
    (i won't bomb you with questions either c:).
Kasper

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ...Loading... » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:38 pm

This is my new little puppy. Avery or Av as I call her. She's so cute but can be difficult at times, but I love her none the less.
^-^
...Loading...

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MistyBlue2010 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:49 am

TheForgotenOne wrote:Image
This is my new little puppy. Avery or Av as I call her. She's so cute but can be difficult at times, but I love her none the less.
^-^

Adorable!!!
MistyBlue2010

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kasper » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:47 am

TheForgotenOne wrote:-snip-
    ^-^

d'aww!
    is she a siberian husky? <3
Kasper

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cn_spots » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:51 am

We showed again this weekend. No love in breed, best of opposite both days. We did really well in owner handler, group 1 and group 2! We got 60 more points and that should put us in solid 3rd for breed standings.

It was pretty hot we had cool coats and fan on everyone and it almost was a disaster, the hotel said they were pet friendly and we get there and no pets. So we go to the other pet friendly hotel in the area... 1 dog we had 8. So we had to find a store for air mattresses and a tent to rough it, but it turned out all good.

I also found out not only will I be getting another foxhound but it's essentially being gifted to me. They are talking about breeding these two together
I think it would be a good little with some pretty pups.
cn_spots

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lisica, » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:15 am

out of curiosity, does anyone celebrate their dog(s)'s birthday? it's my collie's eighth today and we bought her one of those dog-friendly cake things, but that was it. one of my friends said they barely remember their dog's birthday, nevermind buy them anything.

are we the only strange people who do this? c'x

lisica,

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me